Thursday, December 27, 2007

Best of 2007=my friends Part 7

All this blog was ever supposed to be was my favorite records. A bad habit I have is promising to make a tape for someone that I never do. Most of the songs I've written about have appeared on a mixtape, some of them have appeared on nearly ever one I've ever made. Anyway, what that means is that it's sort of superfluous for me to make any sort of year-end list. You already know what it's going to be. But! There are many reasons to have year-end lists and my favorite have always been the ones written by people that didn't spend the whole year writing about music already. So! Here are seven different lists written by people that I love. I hope you have fun reading them.


Andrea Longacre-White
Andrea took one of my favorite photographs of all time. I like the way she sees things, the way she exists in all the same spaces as the rest of us but is constantly uncovering secrets. But she does it in a way where she has a voice, isn't just some observer, and she also does it with a respect that makes her prints so heartachingly emotional. After she DJ'ed at Lit, the CDRs that she burned a bunch of songs onto floated around Brendan's car for weeks and they were thick and frantic, high-energy and bright. The combination of her appetite for bangers and that sense of understanding makes her list feel like summertime with open windows:

Int'l players anthem- UGK featuring Outkast; could there be a more perfect dance song (or opening lines)?

Uh-Oh- Ja Rule Lil Wayne; could there be a more perfect runner up to the most perfect dance song?

Barr- Summary, every corner of every song

Animal Collective- Strawberry Jam and its array of ever shifting favorite songs

Lil Love- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and Maria Carey; haven't loved her this much since the highest notes of 'Someday'

Every live Car Clutch performance I've witnessed

First bonus track from Honk Honk Bonk (song 13)- Soiled Mattress and the Springs; they always play this song live and I feel embarrassed to not know the title but Avi won't text me back with answers! Wait, he just did only to say that there are no bonus tracks on the album! Lies!

Comfy in Nautica- Panda Bear; a song that slowly, relentlessly pulls and stretches time.

2 step remix- Unk featuring T-Pain, E40, Jim Jones; first song to create true concern about the system I'm listening to it on's bass integrity.

Go Getta- Young Jeezy featuring R.Kelly, its melodrama amazes me.

Boyz- M.I.A., whatever, I love her.

----

Okay friends, thank you for reading. I know it's a lot but I really loved seeing these and hope you did too. Happy new year and to steal from an email I got from my friend Devon recently, good dreams or none at all. Peace.

No comments: