Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Best of 2007=my friends Part 5

All this blog was ever supposed to be was my favorite records. A bad habit I have is promising to make a tape for someone that I never do. Most of the songs I've written about have appeared on a mixtape, some of them have appeared on nearly ever one I've ever made. Anyway, what that means is that it's sort of superfluous for me to make any sort of year-end list. You already know what it's going to be. But! There are many reasons to have year-end lists and my favorite have always been the ones written by people that didn't spend the whole year writing about music already. So! Here are seven different lists written by people that I love. I hope you have fun reading them.


Jordana Swan
My sister! It never ends! From when we went to see Sonic Youth (she was 14, I was 19) together to a couple of weeks ago when I was reading in my room, listening to Burial, and I went to get a cup of water and heard her listening to the same LP, two songs ahead of me while reading in her room. She makes plants grow in our tiny, sunless apartment and she just made a video for the BARR song "Context Ender" that made the floors, walls and lamps cry with its sensitivity and beauty. Her list:

1. In Paris I mostly got the feeling that people are losing all concern for each other. We can all have a different experience of a place and that was mine. For a lot of fucking months. BARR played two nights there. First one, my dad was there too and I just kept sponging as many 14euro drinks I could with the tickets. That nasty ‘spensive proper gin, nah mean? Second night though was like, for the people, on a boat, on the east side, friend’s birthday, and ralph darden was there and buckets of cans of beer. For the people! Well so you know how the polyamorous kids who proselytize anarchy and then get crumpled jealous when they girl’s up on someone D… well cos anarchy don’t work without work, or at least the promoter don’t cos right as BARR went on their set got cancelled for time. UPRISEHELLAWHATTHEFUCK! Says the crowd so he said “ok shit just play one song” and then… go big baby kevvy… they compress an entire set’s worth of “THAT TALK IS POISON NO SERIOUSLY” break-the-keyboard energy into one song and then it don’t stop cos kevin does go big and he just starts playing another song and this dangerous medley and there’s dancing and ethan and I end up on the floor like we’re kids and we reclaim our professional wrestler names.

2. no age “weirdo rippers”
3. lilly allen record and yes I mean it
4. kmd “mr. hood” reissue
5. curtis mayfield “no place like america today” reissue
6. when AC played “essplode” in nyc. trip the fuck out! thank you again!
7. panda bear (duh)
8. cam’ron “public enemy”
9. notorious b.i.g. (yeah that means that)
10. best of mac dre vol 3
10. the BARR/no age show in london cos jeremy abbott was in attendance

No comments: