Saturday, December 22, 2007

Best of 2007=my friends Part 2

All this blog was ever supposed to be was my favorite records. A bad habit I have is promising to make a tape for someone that I never do. Most of the songs I've written about have appeared on a mixtape, some of them have appeared on nearly ever one I've ever made. Anyway, what that means is that it's sort of superfluous for me to make any sort of year-end list. You already know what it's going to be. But! There are many reasons to have year-end lists and my favorite have always been the ones written by people that didn't spend the whole year writing about music already. So! Here are seven different lists written by people that I love. I hope you have fun reading them.



Nate Denver
Oh Nate. Nate plays in Total Shutdown, who I liked enough to buy his solo record, "Prepare to Die". I flipped. I listened to it a thousand times that summer. I quickly learned that songwriting was only one of a thousand unbelievable skills that Nate posessed. Others include drawing, storytelling, baking, interviewing The Rock (and getting him to talk about The Geto Boys), careful listening, and laughter. I think that all animals like Nate, and seven of the eight hummingbirds I've seen in my life have been in his presence. He is an ideal human being. His list:

1. Ratatouille (Disney)
2. Deicide: The Stench of Redemption (Earache)
3. No Country for Old Men
4. John Adams biography by David McCullough
5. Superman (written by Grant Morrison, illustrated by Frank Quitely)
6. Flight of the Conchords
7. Black and White Cookies
8. "Campfire" on Wu Tang's 8 Diagram
9. Meet The Robinsons (Disney)
10. Watching my neighbor squeeze off four shots at another neighbor and all four shots missing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice list..
Love the Conchords.
this blog chose them as best EP of 2007!
I personally think it should be Black kids, but the conchords are just as awesome.